| Water Outage Court House Road & Alexander's Lane|
|We wish to advise our residents that there will be a water outage tomorrow 18 January 2021 from approximately 8:15 am to 4:00 pm to conduct a water line repair for Court House Road and Alexander's Lane only. Once the water has been returned .... [Read more]|
|Updated: Sunday, January 17, 2021 8:29 pm|
|News Release - Western Health|
For Immediate Release
(Corner Brook, NL: January 14, 2021) Western Health is pleased .... [Read more]
|Updated: Thursday, January 14, 2021 2:34 pm|
|Agenda - Regular Public Meeting January 2021|
|This is to advise that the Agenda for the Regular Public Council Meeting of January 11th, 2021 has been published under the Municipalities Tab - Council Minutes.
|Updated: Friday, January 8, 2021 3:54 pm|
→ Go to News Page
Arnold Morris House
The Arnold Morris House was designated as a Registered Heritage Structure in October of 1998.
|Arnold Morris Heritage House|
Construction of this house began in 1904 and was completed in 1909. Built by a Mr. Colson (Olson) of Sandy Point and by the original owner, James Morris, who came to St. George's with his brothers, Philip and John.
This site is noted for its ties to the fishery which was the basis of the early economy of the area. While the plan of the house is essentially Georgian, the interior is quite Victorian.
[More About The Arnold Morris House]
K’Taqmkuk Mi’kmaw Cultural Historic Museum
St. George’s is an area rich with Mi’kmaq history. Mi’kmaq occupation of the area known as “Seal Rocks” has been documented as early as the 1700’s. Seal Rocks was the largest Mi’kmaq settlement on the West Coast of Newfoundland. It was established in 1804 as permanent settlement for the Mi’kmaq of Newfoundland and for the resettlement of the Mi’kmaq from Nova Scotia.
|K’Taqmkuk Mi’kmaw Historic Museum|
To celebrate this rich culture, the local historic court house has been renovated to house a cultural museum and interpretation center. This museum is the first and only official Mi’kmaw cultural historic museum for the island of Newfoundland.
[More About the Mi'kmaw Museum]
883 kilometres of abandoned railbed provide the basis for a recreational trail
link called the Newfoundland T'Railway between Port aux Basques and the city of
St. John's. This trail link runs through the town of St. George's.
|Map of Newfoundland T'Railway|
In 1988, the railway line running across the Island of Newfoundland was abandoned. Across North America, thousands of kilometres of railroad have been decommissioned over the past three decades. The roar of diesel locomotives is being replaced by the sounds of hikers, bicyclists, ATVers, cross-country skiers, horseback riders and snowmobilers - people of all ages and many different interests escaping the hustle and bustle of everyday life.
[Newfoundland T'Railway Provincial Park]
St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church
St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church was designated as a Registered Heritage Structure in March 2000.
|St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church|
Located on a rise of land with a sweeping view of greater St. George's, the classical design of the church makes it a major landmark. The church is surmounted by a clock steeple. The clock is connected to a bell which tolls every hour on the hour. The inscription on the bell reads "Dedicated to Saint Joseph. Made for the St. George's Cathedral Newfoundland".
The construction of St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church began in 1898 under the caring and watchful eye of the Reverend Neil McNeil. Formerly the first president of St. Francis Xavier University at Antigonish, he was named to St. George's in 1894. He became the first Bishop of St. George's in 1904, moving to Vancouver in 1910. He was appointed Archbishop of Toronto in 1912, where he died in 1934.
[More About St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church]
This scenic trail system runs along the shore of Flat Bay from Turf Point to Man O’War Cove.
| Sandy Point from Flat Bay West|
You'll find that Sunset Trail is an excellent area for both recreation and discovery.
(Photo courtesy of JM Smith.)